Rep. Mayra E. Flores, a Texas Republican who was elected to the House of Representatives earlier this month after more than a century in Democratic hands, claimed that Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “pushed her daughter out of the way” during a photo opportunity at Flores’ swearing-in ceremony this past week.
What are the details?
Pelosi’s gesture is clearly seen in the video as she motions to a pastor with her raised right hand for a photo. Pelosi then turns her bent right forearm to the right, apparently reaching Flores’ daughter’s shoulder, as the youngster moves to the right at the same time.
Ms. Flores was furious about the video evidence.
“I am so pleased with my strong, beautiful daughter for not letting this get to her. Like a Queen, she kept smiling and posing for the photo like it was no big deal,” Flores wrote on Twitter.
A spokesperson for Pelosi declined to comment, according to the New York Post.
Democrat Dan Sanchez lost to Republican Flores in a special election for the 34th Congressional District in Texas, leaving other Texas Democrats fuming. According to Flores, her victory suggests that Hispanic voters believe they’ve been neglected by the Democratic Party. Sanchez blamed national Democrats for his defeat, claiming they did not sufficiently support his campaign.
How did folks react to Rep. Flores’ claim that her child was ‘pushed’?
- As you may expect, those who appear to be on the left reacted with derision to Flores’ claim that Pelosi “pushed” her child “to the side.”
- “You cannot be serious,” said a Biden/Harris fan. “I just watched the clip, and she just nudged her. Who cares?”
- Another critic tweeted, “What are you talking about? Pelosi never impedes the kid or even makes physical contact with her.”
- “She knocked into someone who moved into her space. The youngster must be taught not to pose for pictures like a fashion model, in my opinion,” a “Democrat and Beto Supporter” remarked. “It looks like her mother is using her as a prop.”
- Another Democrat added, “Your adorable daughter needs to learn how to give individuals some space. Perhaps teach your youngster some manners during photographs.”
- “We see Nancy realizing the girl had just got into her personal space and did not want to elbow her on accident. A typical reaction from a typical adult,” “THANOSTHEMAGADESTROYER” wrote.