Democrat President Biden’s White House was reportedly warned weeks ago by top officials in Afghanistan that the country was at risk of collapsing as the Taliban rapidly gained ground.
“The cable, sent via the State Dept. confidential dissent communication channel, warned about rapid territorial gains being made by the Taliban and the subsequent destruction of Afghan security forces, and gave recommendations about the ways to prevent the crisis and increase the speed of an evacuation,” The WSJ reported. “The cable, which was dated for July 13, also called for the State Dept. to use stricter language in describing the Taliban’s terror tactics.”
The report said that 23 U.S. Embassy staffers, all of whom are United States citizens, signed the cable and that there “was a rush to give it.” The report stated that Sec. of State Antony Blinken got the cable and read it.
“The classified cable shows the clearest evidence that the admin. was warned by its own officials on the grounds that the Taliban’s advance was happening and Afghanistan’s military would not be able to stop it,” the report said. “The existence of the confidential State Dept. cable adds to an expanding discussion involving the Biden Admin., Pentagon and U.S. intel services over what United States officials understood about the assessments of the country’s stability.”
Many top media outlets later confirmed The Wall Street Journal’s report about the cable.
The confidential cable constitutes the clearest proof the Biden administration had been warned by its officials the Afghan military may not be able to hold off Taliban takeover – casting questions on POTUS claim
— Jacqui Heinrich (@JacquiHeinrich) August 19, 2021
CNN: “Diplomats in Kabul warned” Biden admin “of a possible catastrophe.” pic.twitter.com/Bl8WTdvRax
— Arthur Schwartz (@ArthurSchwartz) August 19, 2021
.@ABC News confirms @vmsalama's @WSJ exclusive about the State Department dissent cable from employees of the U.S. Embassy in Kabul sent to Secretary of State Blinken in July pic.twitter.com/PHjsCI2QhU
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) August 19, 2021
Biden said during an interview that aired this week that none of his military advisers had warned him against withdrawing his troops from the country:
“No, no one said that to me that I can recall.”
So Biden may have just forgotten that people told him this was going to be a disaster?pic.twitter.com/i1Fokv5gHs
— Nathan Brand (@NathanBrandWA) August 19, 2021
The Wall Street Journal said, however, that President Biden’s “top generals, including General Mark Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army, urged Mr. Biden to keep a total of around 2,500 troops, the size of troops which were there when he took office, while seeking a peace agreement between Afghan factions, to help keep stability.”
General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said this week that “there was nothing we or anyone else witnessed that showed a collapse of this army and government within 11 days.”
Author: Scott Dowdy